Date: 5/5/18 8:42 pm
From: csrochelle62 <csrochelle62...>
Subject: Re: [COBOL] Dipper Family Fun
 8

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Matt Cahill <matt.c.cahill...> Date: 5/5/18 1:28 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <cobol...> Subject: [COBOL] Dipper Family Fun
Hi all,
Yesterday I had the pleasure of birding for work. I went and visited a couple preserves to see what birds were present. On the Metolius I found a family of dippers with a manic parent feeding two incessantly begging chicks. They were indifferent to me or distracted by food, so I was able to get relatively close and snap a few really fun photographs.
The adult was hunting (fishing?) for big, juicy caddisfly larva, smashing open their cases on a log - with considerable effort! One photo seems to catch the strength it required, the adult caught in mid-smash with its nictitating membrane closed. A real treat to watch this hard-working ouzel keeps its needy young full.
Here's the checklist with the photos: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45261902
Also, I have a group of evening grosbeaks at my feeders. The get along with the flowering tree pretty nicely: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45247149
Good birding,Matt CahillBend