Date: 5/5/18 8:35 pm
From: Tom Schilke <tom.schilke...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Hardin Co. Legacy Wildlife Area - yellow rail
Earlier this morning I did a 2.25 mile hike around Legacy Wildlife Area starting from the east and later in the day a short walk around 6:00 p.m. with good light behind me from the west. Really good birds. 48 species here alone. Shorebirds are primarily along the shore. Some highlights:

Morning:
Eared Grebe
Avocet
Upland Sandpiper - 2 - I think they will nest here
LeConte’s Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow - 7
Dickcissel - 3
Dowitchers - 19 - some long-billed by sound
W. Phalarope - 8
Am. Pipit - 2

Evening
Yellow Rail - jumped in the wet grass just a few feet away
Willet - 3 - walked up on one and it bawled like a baby
Eared Grebe
Am. Golden Plovers - 5
Meadowlark Nest - no eggs yet

Lunch at Calkins Nature Center
Carolina Wren - by the deer pen
Lincoln’s Sparrow - singing
YR warblers - a swarm along the creek

Pintail Wetlands - evening from the tower
Am. Bittern
W. Phalarope - 4

Tom Schilke - Waterloo