Date: 5/5/18 7:47 pm
From: <editor...>
Subject: Second documentation of Black-necked Stilt, etc., north of Linn in Washington County
I finally added a Black-necked Stilt to my Washington County list. This is only the second time the bird has been documented in Washington County. The first was when the KOS spring field trip was held in Washington County in 2004. That time, the bird was seen in the Linn Lagoons right before the compilation event. I missed it (and it has always bothered me haha).

This time, after heavy rains this week, there was one stilt just northeast of Linn in a flooded field. This seasonal wetlands is jam-packed with shorebirds right now. There were nine white-faced ibis present all day today, right along Highway 15. Many dowitchers, peeps galore, yellowlegs, and other shorebirds, but I couldn’t identify most of them because I only had time to observe when the sun was away from me and I didn’t have my binoculars. I spotted the stilt and while I didn’t know it was a stilt immediately, I knew it was strange and watched it for a long time, starting to think it was a stilt. Since I didn’t have binoculars, I used the zoom on my camera and then realized what it was. So I got to photo-document it too.

Anyway, I plan to head out at dawn with my binoculars this time.

At home in Palmer, I had a ton of FOY the last three days. My Eastern Towhee is back, Baltimore Orioles, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, White-crowned Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Cedar Waxwings, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, among others.

—Dan

Dan Thalmann
Owner/publisher/sales - Washington County News, Washington, Kansas
Owner/publisher/sales - Linn-Palmer Record, Linn, Kansas
785-325-2219 (w)
785-747-6980 (cell, feel free to text me)
<editor...>
backroadsnews.com

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to