Date: 5/5/18 6:49 pm
From: Jeanne-Marie Maher <jeannemariemaher...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Nashua and westward.
Michael and I decided to do a mini big day birding around the state (lazily starting at 0730)
It started at home (nashua) with an indigo bunting, a few myrtle warblers, and a catbird all new to the yard this year.
Temple Mountain had a few surprises, despite very gusty winds, with a ruffed grouse, broad wing hawk, rose breasted grosbeak and a smattering of warblers (black and white, yellow rump,ovenbird, Nashville).

Thanks to Zeke's great directions finally successfully birded Dillant Hopkins Airport (Keene/Swansea area). Almost the first bird we found was a little blue heron (with still some grey/blue on wings) patrolling the marshes, who was then startled up into the trees by the planes for even better views. Cooperative calling Sora, visible bittern, (later also calling) Virginia rail, northern parula rounded out the highlights.

Hinsdale: even late afternoon was absolutely hopping with warblers 99.9% Myrtles (must've been well over 500 along the setbacks) with a few good American redstarts , palms , yellow, common yellowthroat , and blue grey gnatcatchers that I manage to miss everywhere up until now.

Final stop Spofford Lake. Never had much luck there before but why not? Managed to find 2 redneck grebes, one Bonaparte's gull hanging out with the ringbills.
Many bald eagles at the later two spots.
Not huge numbers but a respectable 73 species for the day. (Sorry pics are not posted yet)
Happy Spring finally! The birds are here!

Jeanne-Marie Maher
Nashua NH