Date: 5/5/18 6:21 pm
From: David Williams <davewilliams8...>
Subject: Leavenworth County the last few days
Saturday, May 5 it was a work day at home, but I spent two hours birding early and then checked for birds through the day. On Sunday I will be on Fort Leavenworth.

A nice male Golden-winged Warbler was present in the yard this evening, the second time I’ve seen them here. This morning I had a new yard bird as an Ovenbird dropped by. I had not had them on the Fort yet this year, bet they’ll be there tomorrow.

A Northern Waterthrush was singing down along the creek, confirmed as Northern with song and some yellowish features. Black-and White, Nashville, Parula and Yellow-rumped Warblers were also present.

New arrivals for me in LV County, seen in the yard this morning, were Least Flycatcher and Gray Catbird. Swainson’s Thrush was the most numerous bird with 11, some singing. Summer Tanagers, territorial Brown Thrasher and Eastern Towhee, Great Crested Flycatcher, Indigo Bunting added to the group.

Notable birds from Friday, May 4 were 2 Chestnut-sided Warblers in the upland forest at Fort Leavenworth, 2 separate locations.

Also Friday, May 4, the Stranger Creek Bottoms at 215th & Ida had six species of shorebirds which is a Leavenworth County bonanza - Killdeer, Least, Pectoral, Semipalmated and Spotted Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs. This spot is real hit and miss, sometimes zero birds, but it has great potential. There is barely any vegetation yet in this brand new mitigation marsh.

We took a Friday drive in the evening on some back roads in the county and found a very interesting raptor in a fallow farm field north of Easton - a dark phase Swainson’s Hawk. This was a very dark bird presenting itself with only dark rusty brown plumage when we saw it perched on the ground. I wasn’t sure of the ID other than a dark phase raptor until it flew and showed some lightness in the underwing coverts but dark flight feathers in the pattern typical of Swainson’s but not very much light color at all. Cool bird.

Thursday notable birds were FOS Acadian Flycatcher and good looks at a Gray-cheeked Thrush.

We’ll see what tomorrow brings, the migration forecast web page indicates good movement.

Dave Williams
Leavenworth County KS

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to