Date: 5/5/18 5:32 pm
From: Julia Hanauer-Milne <windyridgemaine...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Sidney birds
I spent a fine 1.5 hours walking down the Goodhue Road in Sidney early this
evening. I watched the kestrels courting--he brought her a snake, she flew
away, but later they were working things out.

I also had
two blue headed vireos
warblers: chestnut sided and yellow rumped

At the boat landing on Messalonskee:
at least six yellow rumps fly-catching
a singing pine warbler
black throated green (also singing)
black throated blue
a ruby crowned kinglet
a calling barred owl--I like the way the lake magnifies the sound
a probable red bellied woodpecker: twice now I've been unable to locate it,
despite it calling
Back up the hill, an unusual visitor: a Wilson's snipe flushed from a
cornfield near the top of the hill as I walked back up the road.

I had an eastern kingbird in my yard before I left on my walk.

Thursday evening a mature bald eagle dined on my neighbor's chicken. You
don't see that everyday. The tree swallows will not have trouble finding
feathers for their nests.

I also had a winter wren and singing hermit thrushes at the James H. Bean
School on Thursday and Friday. Nice soundtrack.

Waiting for bobolinks. Tomorrow?

Good birding
Julia