Date: 5/5/18 4:49 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Lubberland Creek & Sweet Trail, Newmarket
Jane and I led a group of birders for The Nature Conservancy of New
Hampshire along a portion of the Sweet Trail at their Lubberland Creek
Preserve in Newmarket (past/present home of Great Gray Owl, Little
Egret, and Mississippi Kites!).  This is the 13th year we've led this
annual spring trip.  The whole area of protected land is growing thanks
to the work of the Nature Conservancy and the Great Bay  Partnership.
The fantastic Sweet Trail extends all the way across Durham Point from
Longmarsh Road across Dame Road and then across Bay Road to the shores
of Great Bay.

For more information on the Sweet Trail and the Lubberland Creek
preserve, follow these links:

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/newhampshire/placesweprotect/a-sweet-trail-to-a-great-bay.xml

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/newhampshire/placesweprotect/lubberland-creek-preserve.xml

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA

Lubberland Creek Preserve, Newmarket, Rockingham, New Hampshire, US
May 5, 2018 8:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Jane and I leading annual trip for TNC.  Includes
observation deck, roadside birding and Sweet Trail.  Nice weather with
sunny skies and seasonable temperatures.  But windy, which made birding
less than ideal.  Relatively slow birding for migrants. Still a few days
early.  Not many wildflowers in forest.

47 species

Canada Goose  2
Mallard  3
Double-crested Cormorant  1
Great Blue Heron  7     Four active nests with females incubating.
Great Egret  2     Unusual sighting of two birds on inland beaver pond.
Not at Great Blue Heron rookery.
Turkey Vulture  4
Osprey  2
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Greater Yellowlegs  2
Herring Gull  1
Chimney Swift  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe  1
American Crow  2
Tree Swallow  12
Barn Swallow  5
Black-capped Chickadee  8
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Brown Creeper  1
House Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Eastern Bluebird  1
Wood Thrush  1
American Robin  1
Gray Catbird  1
Ovenbird  2
Black-and-white Warbler  2
Pine Warbler  6     At least 3 pairs.  Some spectacular close views of
both males and females.
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow  4
White-throated Sparrow  6     Somewhat odd flock of 6 in the middle of
the forest.
Swamp Sparrow  1
Scarlet Tanager  1     Spectacular male.  Perched nicely for great views.
Northern Cardinal  1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Baltimore Oriole  1
Red-winged Blackbird  12
Brown-headed Cowbird  3
Common Grackle  3
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  6

Also noted.......

Painted Turtle
Red-backed Salamander
Spring Azure butterfly
2 species of teneral dragonflies.  Possible baskettail and possible
white-face.