Date: 5/5/18 3:55 pm
From: Dana Campbell via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Possible Kite in East Hartford
5/5/18 - East Hartford Hockanum River at Scotland Road - 6 pm possible
sighting of a Mississippi Kite hunting over the river/marsh to the east of
the Scotland Road bridge over the Hockanum. I was driving on a parallel
street when I first saw the bird and thought from the grey and white
impression it made that it would be a gull of some kind. I pulled over and
got up my bins as it was going away at an angle to the NE. It was in a
hunting position with its head looking down and had a small curved bill.
Thin tapered wings, tail fanned looking short in relation to the body. The
bird appeared in my bins as all grey to dark grey underneath and no other
markings or tail bands were discerned in the overcast evening light. We
will be keeping our eyes peeled to confirm this sighting!

--
The Rev. Dana L. Campbell
Interim Rector, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Middletown CT

“For a lack of attention a thousand forms of loveliness elude us everyday.”
―Evelyn Underhill, *Mysticism: a Study in the Nature & Development of
Spiritual Consciousness*