Date: 5/5/18 3:31 pm
From: Jason Forbes <jason...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Suffolk county Saturday (another Hooded Warbler)
I spent a good part of today wandering Suffolk county, starting at
Deer Island, then working my way to Belle Isle, before heading to the
McLaughlin and Iriquois Woods, and ending at Millennium Park. I’m
guessing the west winds blew a lot of birds out to Deer Island, the
land bird show was excellent, especially on the sheltered side of the
hill above the parking lot.

Highlights:

Deer Island (mostly working the hill for passerines, but I did do a
complete loop):
Red-breasted Merganser - 100+ (80 flying around the tip)
American Oystercatcher - 2
Blue-headed Vireo - 2
Blue Jay - one (I think) flock was circling overhead and kept growing,
eventually reaching 35 birds before they headed off
House Wren - 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 1
Swainson’s Thrush - 1
Hermit Thrush - 1
Ovenbird - 1
Northern Waterthrush - 1
Black-and-white Warbler - 4
American Redstart - 1 (first year male, surprising for my first of year)
Northern Parula - 3
Magnolia Warbler - 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler - 3
Prairie Warbler - 1
Wilson’s Warbler - 2
White-throated Sparrow - 40+ (easily could have been 100, mostly on
the hill right above the parking lot)
Swamp Sparrow - 10+ mixed with the White-throats (also easily could
have been double or triple that)
Eastern Towhee - 1
Baltimore Oriole - 1

Winthrop Beach was dead, so I walked around the enclosure until I had
a Piping Plover and left.

Winthrop Greenway:
Hermit Thrush - 1
Northern Waterthrush - 1 (in one of the puddles right on the trail)
Black-and-white Warbler - 2
Northern Parula - 1

Belle Isle:
Snowy Egret - 1
Greater Yellowlegs - 2
Willet - 2+
That was essentially it for water birds.
Veery - 1
Black-and-white Warbler - 1

McLaughlin/Iroquios Street Woods:
House Wren - 3
Brown Thrasher - 1
Ovenbird - 2
Blue-winged Warbler - 1
Black-and-white Warbler - 1
Northern Parula - 3
Eastern Towhee - 2
No luck with the Hooded Warbler, although it was well after 1 by the
time I got here.

Millennium Park:
Black-and-white Warbler - 1
HOODED WARBLER - female on the trail along the river, flew from the
river side to the other side just beyond the clearing. I didn’t see it
on the way out.
Northern Parula - 1
(probably nothing but there was a sparrow skulking in the phragmites
at the edge of the river just before the clearing that was probably a
Savannah but the minimal views I got didn’t eliminate something
better, so worth keeping an eye open)

Jason
--
Jason Forbes