Date: 5/5/18 3:12 pm
From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Louisiana Life birding article
Christopher,

If we've met, I profess senior amnesia as I don't recall who you are and whether or not you're in the news media. As I've said elsewhere in association with this "thread", I always prepared a 2-3 page, double-spaced report on the topic when a reporter was coming to interview me about a topic associated with my work - crawfish, in general, and, crawfish-bird interaction, in particular. Reporters, print or radio/TV don't have a lot of space/time. I made it a point to include pros/cons.

I started doing this after I had an experience somewhat similar to Nancy's. Except in my case, I spoke to the reporter and the reporter got it ALL wrong.

I wanted the reporters to have the facts whether or not they used them. I rarely had any "issues" with reports after I started doing that.

Now, in regards to the NY Times, I simply don't recall how I was contacted by a science reporter for that paper but I was contacted by a nice lady who came to interview me about crawfish and birds. Crawfish systems provide invaluable habitat for birds, especially those that eat crawfish - ask LDWF about their whoopers nesting in crawfish ponds and their wayward flock of about 8 or so DUMB whoopers that keep walking around public highways adjacent to crawfish-rice (working wetland) complexes in SW Louisiana.

I don't think the lady reporter sent me her copy to review but it was to the point and correct as regards the controversy between the farmers and the environmentalist who seem to think birds are "good" for crawfish ponds by thinning out smaller crawfish.

Lazy reporters deserve to be chastised for poor reporting BUT one issue is their editors. A report may be proper and to the point but the editor removes enough words to make it a cruddy report!

Remember, in politics, the most important thing is to make sure your name is spelled correctly!

Jay Huner