Date: 5/5/18 1:28 pm
From: Matt Cahill <matt.c.cahill...>
Subject: [COBOL] Dipper Family Fun
Hi all,

Yesterday I had the pleasure of birding for work. I went and visited a
couple preserves to see what birds were present. On the Metolius I found a
family of dippers with a manic parent feeding two incessantly begging
chicks. They were indifferent to me or distracted by food, so I was able to
get relatively close and snap a few really fun photographs.

The adult was hunting (fishing?) for big, juicy caddisfly larva, smashing
open their cases on a log - with considerable effort! One photo seems to
catch the strength it required, the adult caught in mid-smash with its
nictitating membrane closed. A real treat to watch this hard-working ouzel
keeps its needy young full.

Here's the checklist with the photos:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45261902

Also, I have a group of evening grosbeaks at my feeders. The get along with
the flowering tree pretty nicely: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45247149

Good birding,
Matt Cahill
Bend