Date: 5/5/18 12:55 pm
From: 'Robert D. Hughes' <rhughes.enteract...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose, 5/5 a.m.

I spent the morning birding Montrose Point in Chicago today, May 5,
capping off what's been an excellent week of spring migration. I ended
up with 101 species in 6 hours of birding. Passerines were abundant,
with White-crowned, White-throated, and Swamp Sparrows and Yellow-rumped
and Palm Warblers leading the way. There were also good numbers of Gray
Catbirds and Swainson's Thrushes. Interestingly, many of these birds
were feeding in the tops of trees that were just leafing out, apparently
on newly emerged midges. Shorebird variety however was low, which was
surprising given the complete lack of dogs on the beach (thanks to CPD
security) and the presence of a large fluddle on the public beach. The
large number of people on the beach probably didn't help (there were 2
major events at Montrose today). My highlights include

White-eyed Vireo - 1, feeding in the top of trees, a common theme today
All 6 regularly occurring swallows
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1, getting late
20 species of warbler, the best being Prothonotary and Golden-winged.
Only Yellow-rumped, Palm, Northern Waterthrush, and Ovenbird were common
however
Clay-colored Sparrow - 2
Lark Sparrow - 1
Yellow-breasted Chat - 1
Yellow-headed Blackbird - 1
Orchard Oriole - 2

I hope the rest of May is as exciting as this week has been.

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois
Birding Montrose Point:
http://theorniphile.info/birding-montrose-point/index.html
The Montrose Birding Blog: http://theorniphile.info/wordpress/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/robertdhughes63
Montrose on eBird: http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L161180

Posted by: "Robert D. Hughes" <rhughes.enteract...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)