Date: 5/5/18 12:17 pm
From: Marc Ribaudo via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Trillium Trail, Thompson WMA
The Northern Virginia Bird Club visited the Trillium Trail of Thompson WMA in Fauquier Co this morning, and unlike recent years, did not suffer fog, cold, or rain. We enjoyed a great cerulean warbler show, with good looks at numerous birds. We also enjoyed an extremely cooperative Kentucky warbler that was singing from a bare branch over the trail, not far from the parking lot. Several hooded warblers tantalized us, but only one of our party could get eyes on one. We lucked into a pair of blue-headed vireos that appeared to be bringing food to a nest. We also saw a first year male rose-breasted grosbeak trying to build a nest, without much apparent success. Other notables were a couple of Swainson's thrushes, hermit thrush, worm-eating warbler, red-headed woodpecker, Acadian flycatcher, several yellow-throated vireos, and black-throated blue warbler. We tallied 49 species in all.

Marc Ribaudo
<moribaudo...>