Date: 5/5/18 9:17 am
From: 'Michael Sweeney' <mike.sweeney2005...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Intra-species murder at Lincoln Park Zoo
This morning I saw one male Red-winged Blackbird drown another one in the
pond at Lincoln Park Zoo, across from the Chilean Flamingos. When I arrived
at the pond the attacking bird was on the back of the struggling victim near
the western edge of the pond, repeatedly pushing him down into the water.
This went on for several minutes. A small flock of Grackles stopped by to
watch. Finally the attacking bird was satisfied, and flew off. The other
bird moved occasionally for a couple of minutes after that, but then stopped
moving and just floated at the edge of the pond. I certainly knew that they
could be ornery, particularly during nesting, but this was a surprise.

On other fronts, vireos are finally showing up -- Warbling in a couple
places around the North and South Ponds, and both Blue-headed and
Yellow-throated (singing) on the west side of the North Pond. Other than
lots of Palms and Yellow-rumpeds, warblers still seemed scarce, at least for
me -- several Common Yellowthroats, and individual Yellow, Redstart,
Northern Waterthrush, and Northern Parula. I had help on both the
Blue-headed Vireo and the Northern Parula (thanks again, Al).

The Black-bellied Whistling Ducks are no longer at the South Pond.

Michael J. Sweeney

(h) 773-281-7249

(c) 312-404-0928

<mike.sweeney2005...> <mailto:<mike.sweeney2005...>

Join us on Facebook!