Date: 5/5/18 8:42 am
From: Peter Frechtel via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] DC-area birding in the past week
Hello VA-Birders,

I've been out five mornings in the past week: four times to Kent Gardens
Park in McLean, and once to Roosevelt Island in DC. I haven't had a great
morning yet for migrants, but there have been interesting moments. Here are
some highlights:

* Beaver at Kent Gardens Park at dawn on Saturday 4/29. Haven't seen
it since, but we had a good staredown at close range. Not the first time
I've seen one here, but it's been a few years. I've heard that some of the
folks whose yards border Pimmit Run don't want them around.
* Worm-eating warbler this morning at Kent Gardens Park, and Tuesday
morning 5/1 at Roosevelt Island
* Spotted sandpiper this morning at Kent Gardens Park
* White-eyed vireo in the same two locations, all four days at Kent
Gardens Park. They don't breed here every year.
* Northern waterthrush on all five mornings
* Lots of cliff swallows around and under the bridge to Roosevelt
Island
* Chestnut-sided warbler on two of the four mornings at Kent Gardens
Park
* Red-shouldered hawk carrying nesting material to an obvious nest at
Roosevelt Island. The nest is about 60' up, behind and just to the right of
Teddy.

Peter Frechtel

Falls Church