Date: 5/5/18 8:33 am
From: Ryan Douglas <rndouglas...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Patuxent River State Park (Howard County) - 05 May
I had a chance to get out and look for birds for the first time in many months this morning, and I ended up spending a few hours at Patuxent River State Park, mostly in Howard County.

The morning started out fairly birdy, but there really weren't many migrants that don't stick around the general area all summer. I ended up with over 50 species, which is easily a new best for me at this location.

I was pleased to find a small group of Solitary Sandpipers roving up and down the small islands and mudflats in the river. A Great Horned Owl spooked in front of me at one point, and I watched in amazement as ~50 American Crows and a few Red-shouldered Hawks materialized out of thin air to pester the poor owl.

Good numbers of Worm-eating Warblers were singing from the ridges along the creek.

Full eBird list: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45282381

Cheers,
Ryan Douglas