Date: 5/4/18 8:07 pm
From: Jeff Bilsky <jbilsky...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
Hiked Skokie Lagoons this evening with lots to see everywhere you looked.
Difficult to keep up with everything. Good stuff included 10 SOLITARY
SANDPIPERS (most in the west side of the big field which is currently
flooded). An AMERICAN WOODCOCK flushed adjacent to the field (northwest
corner). SORAS were abundant in the marsh area west of the gravel trail
right when you enter the woods edge. Also had one VIRGINIA RAIL with them. FOY
COMMON NIGHTHAWK was vocalizing over the water. Lots of thrushes, sparrows
and warblers. I am certain I missed some species due to wasting a lot of
time chasing a very high up pale-ish/blue-ish warbler, but realized
eventually it was a female BLACKPOLL (not the cerulean my mind was taunting
me with - continuing my ongoing education in eastern warbler ID) - joining
the 3 males of the species I also found. FOY LEAST FLYCATCHER and
BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER were other highlights. A late FOX SPARROW caused ebird
to throw the caution flag. Photos of that and a few other things embedded:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45269426

Good birding - should be a fun weekend.

Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
May 4, 2018 5:11 PM - 8:11 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.85 mile(s)
59 species