Date: 5/4/18 7:10 pm
From: Candace H <candace69001...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Van Buren County Eastern Whippoorwill @ Lacey-Keo SP
West of the west entrance to Lacey at least 3 E. Whippoorwills (FOY) were
heard. One was closer, one more faint. Every year at this time, I find them
here. I submitted my ebird report of 2 birds, then a third one started
calling north of the road in a different location. Park at shelter house or
gate house at night fall and listen.

A Barred Owl called as well. Looking forward to birding VBC this weekend.

My FOY's at Mt Sterling tonight:
Common Yellowthroats
E. Kingbird
Great Egret
Also interesting at Mt. Sterling was listening to the male N. Shoveler do
it's chuffing call. There were Lesser Yellowlegs seen and heard and other
shorebirds not identifiable due to distance and low light.
Saw one pair of nesting Trumpeters.

On Jersey Ave saw FOY, Common Nighthawk.

On Jersey road South of the Sugema entrance off of HWY 2 there was a Red
Fox. He scurried to the weeds just off the road and then turned and stood
and looked at me. I had stopped the car but he did not run away. This is
often my experience with Red Fox for some reason. Had similiar thing happen
in Lacey near shelter 2 years ago. It's kinda odd...but I love the
experience... it's like there's an odd connection or something.

Candace Havely
Waterloo
Black Hawk County