Date: 5/4/18 6:45 pm
From: 'Phil Brown' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Hillsborough County migrants - 95 species, 18 warblers sp.
I spent the morning leading field trips and making site visits in western Hillsborough County - leading a bird walk for UNH Cooperative Extension 'Coverts' program at the Barbara Harris Camp in Greenfield; with the Hancock Conservation Commission on the Walcott Conservation Area; and a site visit to NH Audubon's Deering Wildlife Sanctuary. Realizing that it was a pretty great day for birding, I continued on to bird a few points in Hillsborough, Antrim, and Hancock and wrapped up at 2:30 pm at Powder Mill Pond.

It was clearly a big migration night as I tallied 20 new personal species for the year among 95 total for the day. Warblers pushed onto the scene in a big way with 18 species noted (compared to about half of that yesterday in my explorations). Yellow-rumps were in abundance with a single flock of about 50 at the Deering Wildlife Sanctuary in the early afternoon. Ovenbird, Pine, Black-and-white, and Black-throated Green were all present in good numbers. Most of the other species were only tallied in mainly ones and twos, with none seeming unusually early for the date.

Overall, nothing too unusual overall for the region and habitats, and not too many misses as I covered a variety of habitats. 3 Solitary Sandpipers today (each in different spots) was notable. I have had them over my yard as flyovers the last two evenings just past sunset, hearing their call as they flew by.
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Powder Mill Pond), Evening Grosbeak (yard), Brown Thrasher (Tenney Farm), Northern Harrier (Walcott), and Merlin (Powder Mill Pond) were other satisfying finds on an enjoyable day with spring birds.
Phil Brown
Hancock, NH