Date: 5/4/18 6:08 pm
From: pep4223 <pep4223...>
Subject: YB Chat, Acadian Flycatchers, 13 Warbler Species - Shannondale Springs WMA, Jefferson County
This morning, Jim Farley and I birded Shannondale Springs WMA in Jefferson County. We had a great walk and saw a number of FOY's for both of us. Highlights included the return of Acadian Flycatchers and White-eyed Vireos, finding a singing Yellow-breasted Chat, getting close up looks at a silent Swainson's Thrush, and seeing 13 warbler species (this count includes the chat, which eventually will no longer be considered a warbler.) We were fortunate to hear and see 4 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks also.

An interesting bird behavior incident was when a Common Yellowthroat and a Chestnut-sided Warbler were competing for the same tree. I watched them physically attack each other, then eventually they moved in opposite directions. Both barely missed a song beat, and I believe the Common Yellowthroat ended up getting the better real estate in the end.

Many of the warblers were found in the WMA along the entrance road and in the parking lot by the boat launch. 54 species were seen/heard, which we were happy with. We never saw/heard any hawks, vultures, grackles or House Sparrows.

Shannondale Springs WMA, Jefferson, West Virginia, US
May 4, 2018 7:48 AM - 12:12 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.449 mile(s)
Comments: 75-81 degrees F, no wind, sunny moving quickly to overcast, heard thunder, but no rain
54 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 2
Mallard (Northern) (Anas platyrhynchos platyrhynchos/conboschas) 3
Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) 3
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 3
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) (Ardea herodias [herodias Group]) 2
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius) 1
Mourning Dove (Mainland) (Zenaida macroura [carolinensis Group]) 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 10
Downy Woodpecker (Eastern) (Picoides pubescens pubescens/medianus) 12
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (Colaptes auratus auratus/luteus) 1
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) 3
Acadian Flycatcher (Empidonax virescens) 7
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) 1
Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus) 4
White-eyed Vireo (White-eyed) (Vireo griseus [griseus Group]) 8
Warbling Vireo (Eastern) (Vireo gilvus gilvus) 4
Red-eyed Vireo (Red-eyed) (Vireo olivaceus olivaceus) 7
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 6
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 2
Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis) 20
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 20
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) (Sitta carolinensis carolinensis) 2
House Wren (Northern) (Troglodytes aedon [aedon Group]) 1
Carolina Wren (Northern) (Thryothorus ludovicianus [ludovicianus Group]) 12
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (caerulea) (Polioptila caerulea caerulea) 25
Swainson's Thrush (Olive-backed) (Catharus ustulatus [swainsoni Group]) 1
Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina) 2
American Robin (migratorius Group) (Turdus migratorius [migratorius Group]) 4
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 8
Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum) 1
Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla) 1
Louisiana Waterthrush (Parkesia motacilla) 4
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) 2
Common Yellowthroat (trichas Group) (Geothlypis trichas [trichas Group]) 12
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) 35
Cape May Warbler (Setophaga tigrina) 1
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) 8
Blackburnian Warbler (Setophaga fusca) 1
Yellow Warbler (Northern) (Setophaga petechia [aestiva Group]) 5
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica) 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens) 6
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) (Setophaga coronata coronata) 20
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 1
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) 10
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 5
Eastern Towhee (Red-eyed) (Pipilo erythrophthalmus erythrophthalmus/canaster) 20
Yellow-breasted Chat (virens) (Icteria virens virens) 1
Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea) 3
Northern Cardinal (Common) (Cardinalis cardinalis [cardinalis Group]) 35
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) 4
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) 10
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) 1
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater) 5
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 10