Date: 5/4/18 4:47 pm
From: Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Little Blue Heron & others - Grand Junction area
Kathleen McGinley and I found the *Little Blue Heron* in the same pond
along the Pear Park section (east of 29 Road) of the Colorado River Trail.
It was on the north side of the pond just below the hunting blind. We had
to go to the far east side of the pond to see it.

Also had a *Solitary Sandpiper, *4 Black-necked Stilts and 2 American
Avocets.

Redlands Parkway ponds had the following shorebirds:

Black-necked Stilt - 8
American Avocet - 1
Killdeer - 4
Least Sandpiper - 5
Long-billed Dowitcher - 1
Spotted Sandpiper - 4
Lesser Yellowlegs - 2

As a side note, I don't ever remember a year where we saw so many
Black-necked Stilts. I think the weather - high winds with thunderstorms -
kept a number of shorebirds in the Grand Valley this week - other years
they probably drop in for a short time or just fly over. We have seen a
good number of shorebirds this past week.

Mike Henwood
Grand Junction
Mesa County

Join us on Facebook!