Date: 5/4/18 4:21 pm
From: 'Chris Edwards' via IA-BIRD <ia-bird...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Shimek State Forest Birds
A trip to Shimek State Forest in Lee and Van Buren counties today turned up
17 warbler species, but I missed Worm-eating and Pine Warbler. The only
migrants seen in good numbers were Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Nashville Warbler,
and White-throated Sparrow. Migrants seen in smaller numbers included Least
Flycatcher, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Gray-cheeked Thrush, Swainson's Thrush,
Northern Waterthrush, Golden-winged Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler,
Tennessee Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, and Yellow-rumped Warbler. Some
of the resident specialties:

Shimek State Forest-Croton Unit
Red-shouldered Hawk 2 - pair
Red-headed Woodpecker 5 - more than I've seen there before
White-eyed Vireo 5
Louisiana Waterthrush 2 - nest building
Blue-winged Warbler 4
Kentucky Warbler 5