Date: 5/4/18 3:11 pm
From: Dennis Thompson <cndthomps...>
Subject: [ia-bird] manic Dallas County shorebirding
Reid Allen called me at 2:00 to report that Pam and he had some good birds
along S Avenue northwest of Waukee. 6 CATTLE EGRETS were at the Green Acres
sod farm just south of 260th. They also had an AMERICAN AVOCET and 11
WILSON'S PHALAROPES at a big piece of sheetwater south of 250th. I happened
to be in Grimes, so was able to meet them fairly quickly. On the way there,
I noticed a good shorebird flock along 250th between S and T Avenues. We
went to check it out and found a WILLET and a RUDDY TURNSTONE. We both
headed our separate ways and I quickly got a call from them that the
avocet/phalarope spot had added about a hundred birds, including
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, lots of Dowitchers and a Godwit. I rejoined them and
we determined it was a HUDSONIAN GODWIT and that most of the Dowitchers were
LONG-BILLED. As we were scanning the flock, a PEREGRINE FALCON bombed in
and flushed everything except the Avocet. Heading home I swung by the
Shattuck sod farm east of T Avenue along 250th and saw a WHITE-FACED IBIS.
While there, about 70 shorebirds came whooshing in. That flock contained
both LONG- and SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS and a WHITE-RUMPED
SANDPIPER. Shorebirds were definitely on the move this afternoon.

Denny Thompson

Johnston