Date: 5/4/18 2:20 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Weekly Visit To The Chicago Botanic Garden Friday 5-4-18
Hello Bird People,

I thought that maybe the Ibis would be back today or else it might be
elsewhere in the place as there are lots of ponds with lots of
shorelines but it was a no-show. So I just had to settle for my usual
survey. Only one place today so I'll give a complete list.

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)

P.B.Grebe (7)
Horned Grebe (1)
D.C.Cormorant (4)
Canada Geese (18)
Mallard (16)
B.W. Teal (8)
COMMON GOLDENEYE (1 immature male, not sure why he is still here?)
R.B. Merganser (1-F)
Turkey Vulture (2 soaring)
Red Tailed Hawk (2 hunting)
Coot (1)
Killdeer (2-3)
Greater Yellowlegs (2)
Lesser Yellowlegs (5)
Spotted Sandpiper (2)
Least Sandpiper (3)
Herring Gull (4)
Caspian Tern (Max=15)
Mourning Dove (4-5)
RUBY THROATED HUMMER (1)
Kingfisher (1-M)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (heard 2)
Downy Woodpecker (1-M)
Flicker (1)
Least Flycatcher (1)
Eastern Phoebe (1)
Purple Martin (3 at the west houses & 12 at the east house)
Rough Winged (6), Tree (12), Cliff (2) & Barn (10) Swallows
Blue Jay (4)
Crow (1 fly-by)
Chickadee (heard 2)
Creeper (1-2)
R.C.Kinglet (3)
Veery (2)
Gray Cheeked Thrush (1)
Swainson's Thrush (10-12)
Hermit Thrush (1)
Robins (~35)
Gray Catbird (3)
Starling (2)
Warbling Vireo (1)
Orange Crowned Warbler (2)
Yellow Warbler (4)
Palm Warbler (40-45, the Warbler of the day by numbers)
Common Yellowthroat (3-4)
Northern Waterthrush (3)
Savannah (3), Song (8) & LINCOLN'S (2) Sparrows
White Crowned (8-9) & White Throated (18) Sparrows
VESPER SPARROW (1)
CLAY COLORED SPARROW (1)
BOBOLINK (1-M, replacing the Ibis on the Daffodil Island)
Red Wings, Grackles & Cowbirds
House Finch (2 singing)
Goldfinch (8)
House Sparrow (4)

That should add up to 66 species which is pretty good for the CBG but
only 6 species of Warblers.
I ran into Ann H who did more wooded areas than I did & some of the
species she had were
Indigo Bunting, Rose Breasted Grosbeak & Baltimore Oriole.

But Bird-Of-The-Day goes to none of the above listed birds but does go
to a CAPE MAY WARBLER seen in my front yard along with 2 Myrtles & 1
Palm Warbler.
Runners-Up to the Vesper & Clay Colored Sparrows & the R.T. Hummer.
Good luck to everyone on the Spring Count tomorrow.

Al Stokie

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional