Date: 5/4/18 1:36 pm
From: Scott Priebe via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Breckenridge Road - Whip-poor-wills and Barred Owls
Before joining Marc Ribaudo and Peter Ross at Leesylvania, I stopped by Breckenridge Road, arriving at 4:40. When I first arrived, one Whip-poor-will was singing between Joplin Rd and the first left hand gravel road off of Breckenridge (~0.1 mile from Joplin). When this one stopped singing, a second started singing about 100 yds to the southwest. I headed down Breceknridge to the gate (~ 1.2 mi. from Joplin), and drove back, stopping every 0.1 -0.2 mi to listen. Two Barred Owls called back and forth a few times near the gate. Didn't hear any other birds until I returned back to the gravel road turn-off ~5:10, where a Whip-poor-will was singing right at the intersection (west side of Breckenridge). As I walked back the gravel road, a second began singing about 100 ft west, then a third started singing about 100 yds south. Three singing at once as I stood midway between the first two - a recording is attached to the checklist below (I can't distinguish the farther bird). As I
headed back to my car - the first bird still singing - a fourth Whip-poor-will began singing about 100 yds away on the east side of Breckenridge, fairly close to Joplin Rd. Four Whip-poor-wills within 200 yds of each other! Definitely a first for me.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45255703

Scott D. Priebe
Springfield, VA