Date: 5/4/18 11:18 am
From: Roger Kuhlman <rkuhlman...>
Subject: [birders] Kirtland Warbler at Dolph Nature Area
I had great views of a Kirtland Warbler walking the ground of the understory and later the trail about 10 feet ahead of me in Dolph park about noontime. The location was the extreme western section of the nature area. To get there you have to walk on the west in back of several houses until you reach an opening with houses on both the west and north. Then get up on a small rise and continue north along a makeshift trail a tenth or two tenths of a mile.

I had gone there hoping to see a White-eyed Vireo because they have often hung out there in the past. As I was returning from as far as you can take the trail, I noticed a good-sized warbler walking on the ground with an intense yellow throat and breast. Black streaks were only on the sides of the breasts and it had half white eye arcs above and bellow on the blackish face. There was blackish striping on the back and the bird was tail dipping as it walked on the ground. Truly it was one very beautiful bird.

Roger Kuhlman

Ann Arbor, Michigan

5/4/2018

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org