Date: 5/4/18 9:14 am
From: Warblerick <ricksussman1955...>
Subject: [MDBirding] FOY yard birds
It took a double walk around the backyard to get 4 FOY birds for the year/yard list, and things still seem pretty slow here. First bird was a male Yellow Warbler (No.77) singing from across my neighbors field, then relocated in my yard, and eventually with a female. There may have been more than just two. Next was a quiet White-eyed Vireo (No.78) spished out of a honeysuckle thicket, which finally began singing as it moved along the back row of shrubs/trees. Then a treetop Black-throated Green Warbler, female looking and silent (No.79). Then, after repeatedly hearing what I thought was a Northern Parula, I found a beautiful singing male Prairie Warbler (No.80), exciting because I don't see them a lot here, and I hope it means my native tree planting and meadows are finally paying off. He came down and perched at eye level right in front of me in one of my pin oaks, then flew into the back meadow, where he stayed for a while. I also had a pair of (Western) Palm Warblers foraging around the treetops in back.

So 4 new species brings me to 80 so far, with lots of gaps left to fiLL before breeding season is underway.

Rick Sussman
Woodbine, MD