Date: 5/3/18 8:24 pm
From: Chuck & Jaye Otte <otte2...>
Subject: First of year birds; Geary/Dickinson
Jaye and I decided to head down to Rock Springs 4-H camp (in between
thunderstorms) this evening. It sits on the Geary/Dickinson county line so it's
always a challenge remembering what was seen where.

Before we even got out of our neighborhood in Junction City we had two
Mississippi Kites playing in the wind - good to see them back.

Once we got to Rock Springs we had quite a few Baltimore Orioles calling
around as well as Great-crested Flycatchers. A quiet Red-eyed Vireo was
skulking in the buckeyes. That it was skulking wasn't a surprise - that it was
quiet was! In a couple more weeks we'll be wanting them to be quiet! As the
evening was drawing to a close we were greeted to the calls and soaring
antics of three Common Nighthawks coursing back and forth over the county
line.

Then a quick dash home to get in the garage before the next thunderstorm
cell hit!

Chuck

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>