Date: 5/3/18 6:22 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Clark Street Beach, Gillson Park & Skokie Lagoons Thursday 5-3-18
Hello Bird People,

It's been a long day sandwiched between an a.m. failure & a p.m.
failure but I managed a few Warblers in between. Got an email from
Mark V who had seen a Lark Sparrow Wed at Clark Street Beach so I
tried for it this a.m. but the result was the same as every other
attempt at a Lark Sparrow. But I was surprised at how many birds were
at such a small location.

Clark Street Beach

Waiting for me on arrival were 2 Greater Yellowlegs & soon 8 WILLETS
flew in & stayed a while.
Warblers were Myrtles, Palms, 2 Common Yellowthroat & 1 Nashville.
Sparrows were Field (1), Chipping (2), Savannah (2), Song (1), Swamp
(3), White Crowned (1) &
White Throated (1-2).
Also had my FOY Cliff Swallow, a Phoebe, a Catbird, 2 Swainson's
Thrushes, a R.C.Kinglet & a
Blue Gray Gnatcatcher among other species.

Gillson Park

On the way to Gillson the wind shifted to the N/N.E., the temp dropped
10 degrees & fog moved in.
So Gillson was NOT the place to be & I soon left although I did see a
Gray Cheeked Thrush &
a Thrasher.

Skokie Lagoons In From Willow Road

Here I was joined by John Leonard which was a good thing as he found
the 2 best Warblers of the day. We had 12 Warbler species & most were
of the early Warbler variety.
Warblers seen were Myrtles (75-80, maybe more), Palm (25-30),
Nashville (18-20), Yellow (8),
Orange Crowned (5), Magnolia (1), Prothonotary (1 back at the usual
spot), Black & White (4),
Tennessee (1), BLACKBURNIAN (1-M), Common Yellowthroat (3) & many
singing Northern Waterthrushes (~20).

Thrushes were all present except Wood Thrush. Sparrows were Field (1),
Savannah (2),
Song (4), Swamp (5), White Throated (25) & White Crowned (6-8).
Another FOY species was the one Great Crested Flycatcher.

Ended the day with failure #2 as I did not find the White Faced Ibis
at the Botanic Garden. It wasn't on the Daffodil Island & I didn't see
it along the pond edges. I was there by 4 only 1 hour after Amanda T
did see it so it may have moved elsewhere but with the rain & fog I
didn't look farther afield.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the 8 Willets at Clark Street Beach &
Runners-Up to the Prothonotary & Blackburnian Warblers.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: