Date: 5/3/18 3:08 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] NH Coast (Snowy Owl, 97 species, 12 Warblers, 15 FOY's!)
I spent my birthday today birding all day on the NH Coast.  With Jane
for the morning hours until she had to go to work.  I nice number of
birds, but nothing rare.  Pockets of migrants here and there with the
best flock of warbers and migrants in the dunes of Seabrook.  I was
hoping to make it to 100 species, but came up short.

NH coast, Rockingham, New Hampshire, US
May 3, 2018 6:49 AM - 3:49 PM
Protocol: Traveling
38.29 mile(s)
Comments:     All day birding from 6:45 AM to 4:45 PM with an hour for
brunch.  With Jane during morning hours.  Complete coverage of coast
north to Odiorne including walk around north end of park.  Did not cover
New Castle.  Crazy weather.  Nice early with calm, cloudy, and mild
weather.  Then clearing and fierce humid, hot, SW winds. Then
intermittent heavy rain for an hour, then clearing somewhat and cooler
with light N winds.  Visibility offshore was fair to good, but poor in
mid-afternoon.
97 species

Brant  2     Hampton Harbor inlet.
Canada Goose  20
Mute Swan  1     Eel Pond.
Mallard  4
American Black Duck  5
Green-winged Teal  3     Two south of Odiorne.
Common Eider  223
Surf Scoter  44
White-winged Scoter  11
Black Scoter  176     Conservative count.  Likely more.  Most off Little
Boar's Head and Bicentennial Park.
Long-tailed Duck  167     Conservative count.  Likely more.  Most off
Great Boar's Head and Bicentennial Park.
Bufflehead  2     Male and female in Little Harbor.
Common Merganser  2     Migrating north.
Red-breasted Merganser  70
Wild Turkey  2
Red-throated Loon  21     Includes raft of 12 off Seabrook Beach.
Common Loon  18
Horned Grebe  7
Red-necked Grebe  26     Nice raft of 25 off Seal Rocks in Rye. Heard
some vocalizations.
Northern Gannet  2     Off Seabrook Beach.
Great Cormorant  1     Immature on rocks south of Odiorne.
Double-crested Cormorant  163     Migrating.  More scattered on coast.
Great Blue Heron  3
Great Egret  5
Snowy Egret  28     Careful count. Most birds in marshes opposite Wallis
Sands Beach.
Green Heron  1     Flew over at Rye harbor. FOY.
Osprey  3
Northern Harrier  1     Migrant female.
Cooper's Hawk  2
Semipalmated Plover  1     Flew overhead calling. FOY.
Piping Plover  2     Seabrook Beach.
Killdeer  5
Purple Sandpiper  111
Least Sandpiper  12
Spotted Sandpiper  2     Rye ledge. FOY.
Greater Yellowlegs  9
Willet  19     Big arrival over the last few days.
Lesser Yellowlegs  8
Ring-billed Gull  83     Some migrating.
Herring Gull  168
Great Black-backed Gull  21
Common Tern  25     Single flock off Seabrook Beach. FOY.
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  15
Mourning Dove  21
Snowy Owl  1     On rocks south of Odiorne.  My 4th May record. Latest
(for me) is 5/17/12.
Chimney Swift  1     Single bird over Seabrook dunes. FOY.
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  5
American Kestrel  3     Migrating.
Peregrine Falcon  1     Adult on water tower.
Eastern Phoebe  1
Blue-headed Vireo  5     FOY.
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  4
Fish Crow  1     At Odiorne.
Purple Martin  11     10 off Cross Beach Road at gourds.
Tree Swallow  80
Barn Swallow  30
Black-capped Chickadee  7
Tufted Titmouse  10