Date: 5/3/18 12:26 pm
From: Rich Bailey <wvbirds...>
Subject: Loggerhead shrikes and raven nest - Greenbrier Valley
Hi all, intensive fieldwork over the last 2 weeks revealed 12 loggerhead
shrikes in Greenbrier and Monroe counties. 6 nests were found and all
females were in the process of laying clutches. My current estimate for the
breeding shrike population in WV is 10-20 pairs. We trapped and banded 7
birds. A friendly reminder that any observers of shrikes within WV and
anywhere in the east should take the time to look at legs for color bands.

Also, I had a great sighting of an active raven nest placed on the mounting
brackets of an exterior silo vent pipe about 3/4 the way up the silo. The
site is surrounded on all sides by agricultural lands and the silo was
directly adjacent to a farm yard with almost certainly high human and
animal traffic. I flushed an adult off the nest as I drove past in my
vehicle, revealing 2 feathered nestlings whose beaks were still light in
color.

Best,

Rich Bailey, Elkins

Virus-free.