Date: 5/3/18 12:12 pm
From: Rankin, Gary <rankin...>
Subject: Some new birds
I stopped by Rotary Park after work yesterday and found a number of FOYs. These included:

Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Swainson's Thrush 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler (female) 1
Magnolia Warbler 1
Summer Tanager (several)
Rose Breasted Grosbeak 1

The orange-crowned warbler was the biggest surprise for me, as I have never seen one in our area in the spring. But Janet Keating may have seen one in the same park several days ago. Other birds at Rotary Park of note were: Broad-winged Hawk, Yellow-throated Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (on a nest!) and a pair of Am. Redstarts.

About midnight last night, I heard my FOY Whip-poor-will calling from a ridge near our home, and this afternoon, I found a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak (second of year) at our sunflower feeder.

Gary O. Rankin
Lavalette, WV
Wayne Co.

Join us on Facebook!