Date: 5/2/18 10:29 pm
From: Paul Griffin <pgriffin1...>
Subject: Oak Park, Wichita
Hi Folks,

Oak Park is starting to show warblers, finally. I have only seen 3 species, Yellow-rumped, Orange-crowned and Yellow. I also heard a Parula. But, there are a lot of birds, just not many species. We, have nothing like what they are finding around Lawrence, at least at Oak Park. The hummingbirds are starting to show up. Have seen 3 females and 1 male. The Cooper’s hawk mating pair has built their new nest, but there has been a change. The old male has a new mate, a yellow eyed young female, she looks like she is about a year old, and she is sitting on eggs. Perhaps that happened, because last years nest didn’t fledge any new Cooper’s hawks, and the old male found a new young mate. Last year was their 13th or 14th year. Maybe the old female didn’t survive the winter. The next few days should be interesting in Oak Park, as the tall oaks are filling out with leaves.

Happy birding,

Paul Griffin, Wichita

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to