Date: 5/2/18 8:26 pm
From: Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Woodbury County--Wow!
What a day. Headed out at 6:30 with hopes that the rain had knocked down
some migrants. Plans was for 3 hours of birding the home to get some work
done. 12 hours and 30 minutes later and no food until I return to a
patient wife.

Overcast and some light rain but no bothersome wind to speak of.

Best birding day in years--not so much for the number of species, which
surprised me, but rather the number of individuals and then number of new
birds for the year. First real day of decent shore birding--which turned
out to be incredible.

Highlights:
91 species for the day
18 new year birds
16 Shorebird species
*Dowitcher species--562* with the largest group being roughly 240--
several other groups of 80, 76,60, 45, plus some smaller groups. Able to
ID some SBilled and some LBilled but most were to far away to really ID.
* Wilson's Phalarope--150*
*Clay-colored Sparrows*--4 locations
*Yellow Warble, Palm Warbler, Common Yellowthroat*, and Yellow-rumped
Warbler *in a group* along a fence line at Owego Wetlands hawking insects.
Twice as many warbler species as I had previously for the year. Palm
Warbler is not a given in Woodbury annually.
*American Bittern* 2 in different locations
*Cattle Egret* 6--one of our group had 40+. Also not a given in Woodbury
county anymore.
*Cinnamon Teal*--still present
*Eared Grebe* close to the road.

Needless to say I did not notice I was hungry until I got home as smelled
the food.

I think Spring is finally here.

God Bless and hoping you all have some great birding days ahead.

*Paul O. Roisen*
*Woodbury County, IA*
*Mobile 712-301-2817*