Date: 5/2/18 7:22 pm
From: pep4223 <pep4223...>
Subject: Worm-eating and Prairie Warblers, Red-headed Woodpecker, Grasshopper Sparrow + more - Berkeley County
I enjoyed a walk around the yard this morning before the heat up. Yard highlights included a Baltimore Oriole, Black-and-White Warbler, 5 Yellow-rumps and a Common Yellowthroat, sneaking around the pond vegetation.

I figured I could beat some of the heat by going to Sleepy Creek WMA in Berkeley County, but it ended up at 88 degrees F there too. Despite the heat, I saw and heard some nice birds today. Highlights are as follows:

The first stop was Stauffer's Marsh Nature Preserve. Highlights were FOY Yellow Warblers, 3 Spotted Sandpipers and a Double-crested Cormorant that took off while I was walking on the trail. It never returned.

Sleepy Creek WMA: The work done by the West Virginia DNR to increase diversity in habitat was very suitable to Prairie Warblers. Every clearcut that had a few years of vegetation growing in it had singing Prairie Warblers today. Nice job DNR. Keep up the good work!

Also at Sleepy Creek WMA: Black-throated Blue and Black-throated Green Warblers, 5 American Redstarts, Ovenbirds, Scarlet Tanagers, Yellow-throated Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Louisiana Waterthrush, Spotted Sandpipers, 8 Pine Warblers and 1 Blue-headed Vireo. The most exciting birds at Sleepy Creek were 4 Worm-eating Warblers that were very close to the road. I got great looks at three of them, and the other was singing nearby.

On Norman Silver Road, I found a FOY Red-headed Woodpecker and its nest cavity. The (FOY) Grasshopper Sparrows and Eastern Meadowlarks were singing nicely today. By the time I got to Norman Silver Road, it was 90 degrees F. I was ready to go home and have a nice cold beverage.

Happy Spring Birding,

BIRDMOM

Jefferson County, WV

Join us on Facebook!