Date: 5/2/18 6:26 pm
From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Calling Whip-poor-wills
Good Evening,

Monday evening around 8:07 PM, I heard what I took to be calling and flying Eastern Whip-poor-wills in the distance over the southeastern arm of Cotile Lake in NW Rapides Parish. I learned yesterday, much to my dismay, that whips don't sing when they are flying. They're silent. That's something I simply did not know. Well, where were the whips? The call is very distinct. I wasn't hearing things but it was way too dark to see the bird/birds.

There are snags in the lake. Multiple birds - at most four - may have been situated on snags and/or the shore. The calling gave the impression that whips were flying about over the lake. Had I known that whips don't call while flying, that's what I would have assumed.

There was a bright moon that evening and whips are supposed to find perches and ambush insects as they fly over silhouetted by the moon.

Is anyone too old to learn? Not me.

Jay Huner

PS - Heard no whips this evening but assume they are moving along in migration. Makes one wonder if the whips John Dillon has been monitoring in Claiborne Parish have been holding in place or are constantly moving to and past the site?

Join us on Facebook!