Date: 5/2/18 4:08 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach, Dunes & Hedge & Big Marsh Wed 5-2-18
Hello Bird People,

Yesterday I complained about missing all the "good" birds although I
saw quite a few species.
But today I think I saw ALL the":good" species except for one which
you should have no trouble guessing as it was again the Lark Sparrow
which was again seen but not by me. Can't see them all & can't see
that species period.

I was at Montrose from 6:15-10:45 a.m. & then I went to see Walter's
shorebird extravaganza at
Big Marsh, & it is indeed an extravaganza! Here's my lists.

Montrose (6:15-10:45 a.m.)

Beach Birds (Dunes & Beach)

Saw D.C.cormorants & one Green Heron flying by & like yesterday 2
Sora's were calling, one seen.

Shorebirds were Killdeer, a fly-by Semipalmated Plover, Greater (1) &
Lesser (2 & 11) Yellowlegs,
WILLETS (2 groups of 4 each & later one group of 10) Spotted Sandpiper
(4), Least (6) & Pectoral
(about 15 flying by) Sandpipers. A group of Golden Plovers flew by but
not seen by my group.

There were 24 Caspian Terns & some birders saw Forster's Terns as well.

Also seen on the beach were 3 AMERICAN PIPITS & a Chimney Swift (FOY)
flew by pointed out by Fran M. Swallows were Tree, Rough Winged &
Barn.

Beach Warblers were Nashville, Yellow, Pine, Palm, Myrtle & Northern
Waterthrush.

Sparrows were Song, Savannah, Swamp & one of today's highlights a
LECONTE'S SPARROW.
Unlike the usual fleeting looks that you usually get this LeConte's
sat up in full view for 4 or 5 min looking at us looking at it. Very
nice!

Hedge Area

The only flycatcher I saw were 2 Least's but others saw a Great
Crested. Still 4 R.C. Kinglets around & some folks saw a Winter Wren.

Thrushes were all you can get with Veery (2), Gray Cheeked (1), Hermit
(2), Swainson's (25) &
Wood Thrush (4).

I again had 11 Warbler species as I think there were fewer Warblers
than yesterday.
Highlight of the day was a KENTUCKY WARBLER seen by about 7 birders.
Michael Graff spotted it but couldn't get a good enough look at it.
Then It walked out of the undergrowth & I I.D.ed it as a Kentucky.
Then it flew off before others could see it & was not relocated that I
know of. The other big ticket Warbler was the HOODED male probably the
same one seen yesterday. Others saw
Blue Winged & Golden Winged but I didn't.

We saw a male Rose Breasted Grosbeak, Eastern Towhees & 2 Brown Thrashers.

Sparrows were Chipping, Field, Savannah, Song, Swamp, Lincoln's, White
Throated &
White Crowned. Also one singing CLAY COLORED SPARROW. Also saw 1 late
Fox Sparrow.

Thanks to Matthew C, who 1st found it, we looked for a LAPLAND
LONGSPUR & Fran M found it. I must admit I never would have been able
to pick that one out by myself. Hats off to Matthew & Fran.

Big Marsh (12:20-12:50 p.m.)

Walter wasn't kidding when he said shorebirds are here in large
numbers. It's like the old days at Big Marsh when big numbers were
common. Highlights were the female WILSON'S PHALAROPE not swimming in
circles but running on land, at least 125 GOLDEN PLOVERS, half in
breeding plumage & two LONG BILLED DOWITCHERS, at least I think they
were Long Billed but I only had a quick look before they moved behind
cover.

Other shorebirds were Killdeer, Greater & Lesser Yellowlegs, Least &
Pectoral Sandpipers & about 5 Dunlin. Also present were Mute Swans,
B.W. Teal, Shovelers, Green Winged Teal &
quite a few Gadwall. Warblers were Yellow & Palm.

It was quite a day for me with 70 species just at Montrose & 82
species for the day.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Kentucky Warbler which is only the 2nd one I've
seen at Montrose.
Runners-Up to the Wilson's Phalarope, the LeConte's Sparrow & the Willets.
This may be the 1st time I've seen a LeConte's Sparrow & it wasn't the
Bird-Of-The-Day.

Al Stokie
In Cook County & having a very good day

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>