Date: 5/2/18 3:30 pm
From: Andrea Robinsong <aturdusong...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Shorebirds including Hudsonian Godwits and nesters Hart’s Basin
I visited Fruitgrowers Reservoir for the last three days. Monday and Tuesday I went there in the evening and found lots of good migrants along the western shore. Monday night frustrated me as large groups of migrants would stop along the shore then quickly lift up never to be found again. Last night offered really wonderful views as ducks, pelicans, terns, gulls and sandpipers were right next to the causeway. I was able to set up my scope west of the birds so they were not silhouetted by the setting sun.
The rarest birds were two Hudsonian Godwits standing next to a flock of Marbled Godwits on Monday. They were gone Tuesday. I have submitted a detailed description to eBird.
A lone Pectoral Sandpiper which I saw Monday is sadly now a rare bird. In my long experience birding western Colorado PESA were uncommon but regular visitors during Spring migration.
Last evening afforded me incredible views of beautiful birds. Almost twenty Cinnamon Teal were busy feeding so close that individuals were full frame in my scope with the lens close to closed.
There were Blue-Winged Teal and Green-Winged as well and they were a feast for my eyes.
Last night was a gull and tern bonanza with many Forsters Terns, 2 Caspians, and Franklins, Bonaparte’s California and Ring-billed Gulls.
Over the course of the last three days I have seen lots of Willets, dowitchers, Phalaropes, godwits, avocets and Grebes.
Still no bitterns or Black Terns but so far it’s been a good show. I’ve seen three Bald Eagles, one of which was standing on the nest. Across from the parking area a Raven is on a nest.
My complete lists are on eBird.
Andrea Robinsong
Roosting above Hotchkiss

Join us on Facebook!