Date: 5/2/18 3:25 pm
From: Christine Sheridan <cmsbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Nashua Chimney Swifts, Peregrine news.
While watching Nashua's male Peregrine keeping vigil (and enjoying his
lunch), I was delighted to spot six Chimney Swifts chasing insects near the
Nashua River.

The reign of our long-time territorial pair, Monster and Rusty is over.
Other than a possible February sighting of Rusty, the female, in February
by Chris McPherson, they were not spotted this spring.

A pair often seen during winter hunting around the bridges to Hudson over
the Merrimack were supplanted by a pair of two-year olds, black/green A/T,
the male, and black/green 18 BE, a female hatched in 2016 at the Verizon
Tower in Brockton Ma.

A/T was originally banded (as a female) in 2016, a Manchester hatchling,
and had been id'd by his bands as a juvie at Pickering Ponds and Plum
Island.

He spent much of last winter and early spring hanging around Nashua,
finally being chased off by the returning Monster and Rusty. He returned
this spring, when his true gender was revealed when Bob Vallieres spotted
him mating with BE! (As an adult, he does look like a male.)

I'll miss Rusty and Monster. Deanne Fortnam and I, often along with Jim
Kegley, had many exciting times following their adventures in the early
years of their reign! They were mysterious birds, generally appearing with
their young around the time when Chris Martin was wrapping up the Peregrine
nesting season and about to write them off.

Long live AT and BE!

Chris Sheridan
Nashua