Date: 5/2/18 2:44 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Martin Burns WMA and Ipswich Power and Light, May 2, 2018 (with important news about access to IPL)
Martin Burns WMA, Newbury

May 2, 2018 8:30 AM - 10:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments: No blue grosbeak. Nobody had seen it, including Marj Watson and some photographer who had waited 2 hours and given up. Otherwise, instead of being full of migrants, the place was as dead as a door nail. You won't see any new migrants in this list (except possibly the ovenbird).
23 species

Great Blue Heron 7 At least 6 of the 8 nests were occupied by herons and a 7th by 2 large young horned owls. I haven't seen owls use a nest in this colony before.
Great Egret 1
Turkey Vulture 3 together
Osprey 1
Great Horned Owl 2 Large tan-downy young on nest in blue heron colony. Mom not in sight.
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Blue Jay 6
Tree Swallow 20 All flying over the swamp with the GBHE colony.
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 7
American Robin 3
Ovenbird 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 1
Chipping Sparrow 6
Song Sparrow 5
Swamp Sparrow 2
Eastern Towhee 7
Northern Cardinal 5
Red-winged Blackbird 19
Common Grackle 13
American Goldfinch 7

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45177853

Ipswich Power and Light, Essex, Massachusetts, US
May 2, 2018 11:10 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
Comments: Brief visit, because the dam is now closed to all public access for safety reasons (for fear the ancient wooden dam may collapse). I have no idea how long it will take the town to fix it, or even if they plan to. So one would need to walk around and enter thru the electric light dept. Ugh. If i can get more info I will post it.
7 species

Double-crested Cormorant 5
American Robin 2
Yellow Warbler 1