Date: 5/2/18 2:35 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [COBOL] ECAS Wednesday, Birding Bend to Millican Valley
Yes we had Greater Sage Grouse this morning, 4 males and a female. We
viewed from a distance, at the stop/stake spot. Birds flew off early so
we were able to drive out and get the car heater going. It was 19
degrees for a couple of hours out there, brrr. Bird seen many times and
usually singing was Sage Thrasher, so many of them once the sun hit the
perches. Surprise of the day was a pair of BLUE-WINGED TEAL at the
little stock pond overflow area on Camp Creek. NO Vesper Sparrows today
was the other surprise today, but quite a few singing Brewer's. A
single Green-tailed Towhee sat for us on Pine Mtn Road, and Gray
flycatchers were seen and heard in several locations. List below.
REMEMBER everyone, we move our starting to 7 a.m. as of next week. And
contact me if you missed today and still want to go out early, as you
might have one more chance to go in a group for the grouse.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net

Mallard
Blue-winged Teal - pair on Camp Creek .5 miles from Hwy 20
Greater Sage Grouse - 5 birds
Turkey Vulture
Osprey, along Hwy 20
Red-tailed Hawk
Ferruginous Hawk - 1 near Brothers
American Kestrel
Killdeer - pair at Brothers rest stop
Rock Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Unidentified Sapsucker - drumming in pines, could not find it. Prob
Williamson's
Northern Flicker
Gray Flycatcher
Unidentified Empidonax
Loggerhead Shrike
Western Scrub-Jay - east edge of Bend
Pinyon Jay - heard and saw loose flocks and singles in 2 locations
Clark's Nutcracker - Dry Canyon overlook
Black-billed Magpie
Common Raven
Horned Lark
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow - Dry Canyon
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Pygmy Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Mountain Bluebird
Townsend's Solitaire
American Robin
Sage Thrasher
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1 only, Brothers, rest stop
Green-tailed Towhee
Brewer's Sparrow
Sagebrush Sparrow - 2 birds, brief looks only
Savannah Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow - adults here and there in the sage
Western Meadowlark
Brewer's Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Cassin's Finch
Red Crossbill - likely the flock that was a fly by along Pine Mtn.

Total number of species seen: 45
Birders today: Debra Lumbert ( please contact me), Candace Cobb, Howard
Horvath and Judy Meredith. Some others had contacted me about going
today but we had to leave on time due to sensitive birds, and may have
missed you, sorry. Judy, <jmeredit...>