Date: 5/2/18 2:14 pm
From: ok_forbs <ok_forbs...>
Subject: Roger Mills County Birds
We spent one day (April 27) in Roger Mills Co. focusing on wildflowers,
but kept an eye open for birds; and we spent two nights at the Cheyenne Motel.

Butterflies were few in number; as the wildflowers are behind schedule in many places. The
county is in a drought. Even though they had some moderate rain before we arrived,
the ground soaked it up, leaving cow ponds with nothing in them except for dry sand.
Silver-spotted Skippers were the most abundant, some of which were very fresh and in
great shape. We often saw them feeding on milk vetchs (Astragalus sp.)

We were somewhat surprised that the Cheyenne Turkey Vulture Roast (30-ish birds)
had moved from the grainery, which is at the ne part of town, to some tall elm trees
at the sw part of town (about .5 miles from each other). The original location is
very noisy due to its feed production, which might be a factor for the new location.

Also in Cheyenne we saw a large flock of Yellow-headed Blackbirds (20) singing from
the top of a single tree.

At the motel, 5 hummingbird feeders were set up along the office windows.
There where 5 or 6 hummers visiting them. One of which appeared to be a male
Black-chinned, the others I would guess as Ruby-throats. The feeding activity started
early in the am; near first light (6:30-ish am).

Singing Birds:
Cardinal
Robin
Bewicks Wren
Field Sparrow

Partial List of Other Birds:
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
White Pelicans - 12 at Skip Out Lake
M. Dove
E. Collared-dove
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - 10
Blue-winged Teal - 3 Spring Creek Lake
Cackling Geese - 3 Dead Indian Lake
Blue Jay

"The Challenge we face today is figuring
out how to escape the worst elements of
the western diet and life style without
going back to the bush."
~Michael Pollen , "In defense of food"