Date: 5/2/18 1:57 pm
From: Antonio, Robert J. <anto...>
Subject: Burcham: Wednesday Morning
It was a muggy but still nice early morning along the Kaw. It was still pretty active ou there today

Warblers
Yellow-rumped - ~70 this is a guestimate - less song more females but still a good number of males
Yellow- - 30 - I counted this many but likely many more - still mostly have been males
Orange-crowned Warbler - 10 - only one singer
Blackpoll - 1 singing
Nashville - 5 singers
Tennessee - 4+ singers (think more were doing a few notes)
Northern Parula 3 singing
Northern Waterthrush - 2 singing
Prothonotary - 1 singing on north stream near confluence with the river
Black-throated Green - 1 singing
American Redstart 1 FOSB
Ovenbird - 2FOS - one doing partial song heard with Peter Grund & than second sang full song in woods at head of river trails
Blackburnian - 1 Peter Grund heard it same place as yesterday & another birder observed it - I think I heard it after Peter departed but not sure

Yellow-throated Vireo - ~5 singing (may be the most I have had in Burcham); 1 or 2 could have moved but these were in different parts of the park-the full length)
Blue-headed Vireo - 1 singing
Red-eyed Vireo - 4 singing

Fish Crow - 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1-
Great-crested Flycatcher -5 all singing or doing notes
Least Flycatcher - 5 singing
Western Kingbird - 1 FOS back to its usual location in the tower above the power station

Gray Catbirds - 5 - 2 doing cat call note
Brown Thrasher - 2 singing
Swainson's Thrush - 5 1 singing
Wood Thrush - 4FOS singing in different parts of park (they started late)
Summer Tanager - female
Dickcissel - 1 just heard its call note over the river; had 2 yesterday over the river

White-throated Sparrow 5 notes
Clay-colored Sparrow 10 lots of their buzzy notes near north stream
Lincoln's Sparrow - 5- one singing (think there were many more scurrying in grass and wet-woodedge)
Chipping Sparrow - many in grass along river
Vesper Sparrow - 1 likely (I just didn't spend enough time with it)

I had a strangely marked sparrow that looked like a hybrid or simply discoloration of some sort. I think Peter Grund might have the same sparrow later. It was a large sparrow that I though was a Harris at first. It had similar facial and throat pattern but it was Charcoal colored rather than Black & the top of the head had the tan striped pattern of a white-throated sparrow. Breast was similar to a White-throat. The bird flew.

Ran into Kathy from Bonner Springs - she found a Gray-cheeked Thrush this morning; also she observed the Blackburnian at the turn of the road just up from the boathouse.

Bob Antonio
Lawrence

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to