Date: 5/2/18 12:28 pm
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Swan Creek 5/1/2018
Swan Creek was extremely birdy yesterday. I managed 92 (!) species in just under 7.5 hours, though I didn't find anything rare or unexpected.

Yellow-rumped Warblers were everywhere and I picked out a few other species, the most notable being Black-throated Green Warbler and Prairie Warbler. Scarlet Tanager and Blue Grosbeak were also nice to see.

Lingering waterfowl/waterbirds included Northern Shoveled, Bufflehead, Lesser Scaup, Ruddy Duck, and Horned Grebe.

I found Virginia Rail, Sora, and Marsh Wren, but they were all in the upper wetland, not the lower wetland (where they are more expected).

Shorebirds included Dunlin and Wilson's Snipe among the more expected species.

eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45145215

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD

*** NOTE: Swan Creek/Cox Creek is an active industrial site and mitigation project in northern Anne Arundel Co. Access is at the end of Kembo Road off Fort Smallwood Road near 695. The site is open ONLY Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please be in your car and leaving at 3:30 p.m.. Remember to always sign in at the office, to be on your best behavior (people have worked hard to coordinate this access), and to stick to permitted areas. This Swan Creek map linked here details where you are and aren't allowed to walk. http://www.billhubick.com/docs/swan_creek_map.jpg. ***