Date: 5/2/18 9:29 am
From: Vivek Govind Kumar <vivekgk3...>
Subject: Lake Fayetteville - Black-billed Cuckoo/Painted Buntings/warblers
I visited Lake Fayetteville (Callie's Prairie and the environmental center trails) this morning with Alyssa DeRubeis.

Callie's Prairie:

A Black-billed Cuckoo was seen (and photographed) at the SW corner of Callie's Prairie. We observed it for around 15 minutes and had very good views of the red eye-ring and black bill. A Yellow-billed Cuckoo was also seen. 2 more cuckoos were flying very high and could have been either species.

Painted Buntings have returned to Callie's, with 3 singing males seen. Indigo Buntings were also out in force, with at least 4 singing males present. Dickcissels (at least 7) were flying over throughout the morning and their distinctive flight call was heard several times.

A good selection of warblers/vireos was present in the trees surrounding the prairie - White-eyed Vireo (3), Blue-headed Vireo (1), Red-eyed Vireo (3), Tennessee Warbler (2), Nashville Warbler (3), Common Yellowthroat (1), Northern Parula (2), Bay-breasted Warbler (1), Chestnut-sided Warbler (1), Blackpoll Warbler (1), Pine Warbler (2), Yellow-rumped Warbler (6), Yellow-throated Warbler (2)

Miscellaneous - Eastern Wood Pewee (1), Eastern Kingbird (1), Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (1), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1), Gray Catbird (1), Eastern Towhee (1), Summer Tanager (1), Blue Grosbeak (1), Orchard Oriole (1), Baltimore Oriole (5).

EC trails:

Buoyed by our good fortune at Callie's, we decided to spend some time on the EC trails.

More warblers were present in this area - Ovenbird (1), Orange-crowned (1), Nashville (1), Kentucky (2), Common Yellowthroat (2), American Redstart (1), Northern Parula (5), Magnolia (1), Blackburnian (1), Yellow (2), Pine (1), Yellow-rumped (4), Yellow-throated (3).

Miscellaneous - Mississippi Kite (1 flying over), Ruby-throated Hummingbird (3), Least Flycatcher (2), Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (1), White-eyed Vireo (3), Warbling Vireo (1), Red-eyed Vireo (4), Gray-cheeked Thrush (1), Gray Catbird (1), Summer Tanager (2), Indigo Bunting (4), Dickcissel (3 flying over), Baltimore Oriole (4).

Vivek Govind Kumar
Fayetteville

Join us on Facebook!