Date: 5/2/18 8:34 am
From: Philip Bradley <pbradley60...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] SexEd moment
My 7 year old grandson comes to my house after school to relax and then do his homework. We often look out of the window to look at any visiting birds. Yesterday, a pair of Mourning Doves were performing a courtship dance. My grandson mentioned that one of them had a blue head. I explained that it was the male, and that he was courting the female. I said, "let's get to your homework", but my grandson was mesmerized by the doves' dance. He then laughed and said, "he jumped on her back; why did he do that?" I told my SEVEN year old grandson that the male was putting his sperm into the female's eggs. He made a pensive face and asked if roosters do that to hens. I said yes but that most of the chicken eggs we eat don't have the sperm in them.
In the teaching profession we call this a teachable moment; for me it was a squirmable moment. Is seven too young for sex education? He seemed unphased by it and did his homework.

Phil Bradley

Sent from my iPad

Join us on Facebook!