Date: 5/2/18 7:48 am
From: melius <mmelius...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] GRPC, Custer Co.
Around 6:30 this morning I distinctly heard a Greater Prairie Chicken
booming, amidst the pleasant din of meadowlarks and doves in Spring
Creek valley. I got in my vehicle and drove towards the sound, and
traced it to the Folsom school section. There was a STGR lek there for
decades, although it's become less active in recent years, while one
about a half mile east has become quite busy. I had to stand in the
back of my pickup to get a view of the school section lek, in full
sun. I could see six birds, too far to tell STGR from GRPC. They were
just standing around at the time.
At the same time, I counted 13 birds on the lek to the east. That lek
is on a small prairie dog town, and there's a pair of Burrowing Owls
standing amidst the grouse.
Michael Melius
Folsom

Join us on Facebook!