Date: 5/2/18 6:43 am
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Putting my shoes on to walk the dog I looked up and there was a male
Red-breasted Grosbeak.  I thought that quick sighting would be it but a
bit later saw it again on the tube feeder on the other side of the
driveway.  Got my camera to take some pictures and discovered the blinds
were down on the window.  I very carefully pulled them up and was lucky
that he didn't take off but stayed for a good five minutes allowing me
to get some photos.   After having gone for years without seeing one in
my yard (other than on my license plate I get two of them this Spring.
Great way to start the day.

Yesterday when I walked into the kitchen to get lunch I saw a male
Bluebird on the tray that at first glance seemed to be injured.  It was
all puffed up and leaning sideways.  Then I remembered that birds taking
a sunbath is another sign  of the season.  Even knowing that it never
fails to startle me.

Bluebird nest #4 is complete but no eggs yet.  Tree Swallows are also
getting serious about making nests.   The Carolina Wren in the old
Christmas tree now has babies.  I'm relieved that I didn't damage the
nest when I started to haul it off.

Bruni Haydl

Charles Town

Join us on Facebook!