Date: 5/2/18 5:15 am
From: Ross Brittain <brittainra...>
Subject: Some seasonal firsts
Hi All,
I have been out and about for classes and my son's baseball lately and
noticed some few firsts for the season... finally having a chance to post
them:

1 - Ruby-throated Hummingbird (first at our feeder in Bridgeport on 5/2)
2 - House Wren (occupying one of our nesting boxes... female and male 4/29)
1 - Chestnut-sided Warbler (Philippi 4/27)
2 - Eastern Bluebird (occupying one of our nesting boxes... eggs on nest
4/28... late this year)
4 - Blue-headed Vireo (Canaan Valley 4/22)
2 - Dark-eyed Junco (males advertising territory in Canaan Valley 4/22)
6 - Swamp Sparrow (Canaan Valley 4/22)
1 - Field Sparrow (Beall Tract in CVNWR 4/22)
2 - Black Vulture (Philippi nearly every day for a month)
8 - Broad-winged Hawk (Canaan Valley 4/22... good day to migrate)
1 - Gray Catbird (at our suet feeder 4/20)
2 - Brown Thrasher (presumed pair at our suet feeder on 4/28, to go along
with resident NOMO to complete the Mimidae triumvirate at our feeders)

Among Lepidoptera I have also seen:
Tiger Swallowtail
Spring Azure
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
Question Mark
Comma
Mourning Cloak
Juvenal's Duskywing

Wildflowers have been very slow to start but in the last week a couple of
stars arrived:
Goldenseal
Trout lily (great year for them on AB campus with several dozen in bloom)

Gray morels have been abundant, too, but have yet to see a yellow morel...
need some rain.

Happy Birding!

*Ross Brittain, PhD*
Dean, College of Science, Technology & Mathematics
Assistant Professor of Environmental Science
Alderson Broaddus University
101 College Hill Drive, Box 2096
Philippi, WV 26416
304-457-6428