Date: 5/2/18 5:12 am
From: Jay Huner <jvh0660...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Louisiana Life birding article
Whenever I was interviewed by a reporter while Director of the USL/ULL Crawfish Research Center, I always provided the reporter with a two-thee page double spaced report about the topic. I also offered to review their reports before publication. Issues like this rarely occurred.

In this case a polite note to the magazine’s editor and/or the author might do wonders for future reference.

This sort of reminds me of the movie “The Big Day”. Any mediocre birder would know the problems but after thinking about it chuckle and welcome the publicity.

Jay Huner

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 1, 2018, at 9:29 PM, Kevin Morgan <cowboyinbrla...> wrote:
>
> LABIRD -
>
> The current, ie May/June, issue of "Louisiana Life" (glossy magazine, 6-ish
> times a year) has a not-horrible article on birding around the state, including
> clips from interviews with some names some of you may recognize. Unfortunately,
> the photos they use to illustrate the article, while lovely, even stunning, in
> many cases don't fit.
>
> For instance, in the section on "Acadiana", the article mentions Lake Martin,
> and it mentions that you can see (among other species) kingfishers there. But
> the photo referenced is not a Belted Kingfisher, nor even the long-staying
> Ringed Kingfisher that was there for a few years, but the Common Kingfisher of
> Eurasia and North Africa.
>
> In the Northern Louisiana section, they mention that you can see Horned Grebes
> in the winter, but the photo they used is of a breeding plumage bird we are
> distinctly unlikely to see in the state. And in the section on the coast, when
> describing the birds that can be seen at Peveto Woods, they refer to grosbeaks,
> but we're treated not to a Rose-breasted or Blue Grosbeak, or even a
> Black-headed, but an Evening Grosbeak. At least they didn't use a Yellow
> Grosbeak or a Pine Grosbeak - small blessings, I suppose.
>
> There's a digital edition at http://www.myneworleans.com/Louisiana-Life/
> (right-hand side of that page).
>

> Kevin Morgan
> Baton Rouge LA